· Life insurers paid out around €530bn in benefits to insure in 2009, providing them with capital, annuities, pension revenue and death benefits.
· Non-life insurers paid out almost €300bn in claims to insurers in 2009, of which about €100bn was for motor insurance, almost €80bn for health insurance and around €60bn for property insurance claims.
· Private health insurers accounted for around 12% of all current health expenditure in the European Union in 2008.
· European insurers invested more than €6 800bn in the global economy in 2009. This is equal to 53% of the GDP of the European Union.
· The European insurance industry employs more than 1 million people directly.
© CEA - Comité Européen des Assurances
Hover over the blue highlighted
text to view the acronym meaning
over these icons for more information
No Comments for this Article